It is an Ontario Regulation 278/05 requirement that the owner shall prepare and keep on premises a record containing the information about all known asbestos-containing materials on-site. It is also a requirement that each site has a condition assessment done (a minimum of annually, or when new information becomes available) by someone deemed a competent person, to determine that all asbestos-containing materials are in acceptable condition and not damaged, deteriorating, delaminating or otherwise causing any risk to building occupants.
An Asbestos Management Plan is an Ontario Regulation 278/05 requirement when the owner of a building knows or ought reasonably to know that a material in the building is considered an asbestos-containing material. An Asbestos Management Plan typically includes:
- A record detailing the location and condition of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) whether friable or non-friable;
- Who to call in case of an asbestos spill;
- Which workers are trained in asbestos removal and/ or cleanup, if applicable;
- Any company specific procedures that go above and beyond the Ontario Regulations and/ or applicable guidelines;
- Who is responsible for the asbestos inventory;
- Who is responsible for the condition assessment, etc.